Monday, June 27, 2011

transatlanticism



The Atlantic was born today and I'll tell you how...
The clouds above opened up and let it out.

I was standing on the surface of a perforated sphere
When the water filled every hole.
And thousands upon thousands made an ocean,
Making islands where no island should go.
Oh no.

Those people were overjoyed; they took to their boats.
I thought it less like a lake and more like a moat.
The rhythm of my footsteps crossing flatlands to your door have been silenced forever more.
The distance is quite simply much too far for me to row
It seems farther than ever before
Oh no.


I've had this song stuck in my head for a few days now. I'm not going to write out how "the lyrics perfectly apply to my current situation", but being the secondhand poet that I often consider myself, I'll just post the lyrics and keep the thoughts about how this song rings truer than it should right now to myself.

I'm afraid that this last week put a lot of distance between me and Taj.
We talked last night for a bit, and things seemed fine. We both had to go to bed, and he said he'd call me tonight after he gets home from the gym and I'm home from work.
(Let's see if it happens. If I held my breath for this man, I would have suffocated weeks ago.)

I guess I just have to wait until I see him next weekend.

It's fully possible that I'm being the over-emotional female that has seemed to take over CourtneyLand these last few months, but I'm not banking on that, either. Sure, I act more like a girl than usual, but that would mean that I felt more strongly about him, right? Why would it make me feel that we're starting to pull apart? Not that we were ever very close to begin with...

All I know for certain is that I like him. He makes me happy when he's here, and I miss him when he's gone. I'm silly when I'm with him. He makes me think. I'm comfortable enough to talk about the not-so-fun stuff. And yes, I happen to find him impossibly attractive.

I'm really starting to think I'm worrying over nothing. Let's see how this turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment